Resolving schema changes with Gtmhub
Gtmhub is an OKR software which connects to over 100 applications and data stores, such as JIRA , Salesforce or MySQL . We use this data to automatically track and update key results – such as a number of open bugs or average deal size.
In this article, we will introduce a new tool, which helps you keep everything working when the data schema changes.
How does it work?
Gtmhub connects to various data sources and then allows you to build various metrics using SQL . Gtmhub builds data models against 3rd party systems, so for the customers of Gtmhub, all these data sources seem as one. This, also, allows Gtmhub to execute cross-system joins (e.g. calculating the average number of support tickets for enterprise accounts, by combining the data from ZenDesk and Salesforce).
Salesforce to Gtmhub entity mapping
While this approach is very powerful, because of it’s amazing performance and cross-system join operations, changes in the remote schema (e.g. new custom field added to Salesforce) used to be a challenge.
Solution: Schema change resolution
Last week, we have released a new tool that takes care of the changing schema problem. This tool can automatically compare the old schema of a remote system (regardless is it a database or a Saas product) and automatically merge and update all the mappings.
To take advantage of this tool, all you need to do is following:
- Log in to Gtmhub
- Navigate to Setup > Data Sources
- Click on the hamburger icon on the data source for which you wish to update the schema
- Click on the Schema Change button
Data Source schema change button
- Once you click on the Schema Change button, the Schema Resolution dialog will appear.
- If there are no changes, you will see all the mappings as they are without any action
No schema changes dialog
- If, on the other hand, the schema of the remote data source has been changed (new field was added, a field was removed…) Gtmhub will highlight these changes and offer you the ability to update the schema automatically
Schema conflict resolution
- By clicking on the Update Schema button, Gtmhub will take you to the schema update screen and show you in real time how changes are being performed
Update schema progress dialog
Schema resolution is not a tool that new users of Gtmhub will use immediately. This feature was born out of the experience and need that came from our clients.
Schemas change, data is not static. People add new fields to Salesforce, change the data types in databases, remove the fields from JIRA.
With the new schema resolution tool, Gtmhub makes sure that you can always use the latest data with your OKRs and KPIs.