2021 Mission Alignment Index
You don’t need another article crammed full of corporate jargon and complex terminology to make up for a lack of value. We created the Mission Alignment Index to cut through the BS, delivering key insights on employee satisfaction and organizational alignment.
Alignment isn’t some jargon-y catchall for the sake of naming a report— it’s the critical differentiator between organizations who succeed versus those who struggle. And we can demonstrate that the struggle is real.
The Mission Alignment Index (MAI) reflects how well leadership from the world’s largest brands are at—you guessed it—aligning their organizations behind their mission. The purpose of the MAI is not to single out or embarrass anyone (although, honestly, we cannot change how other people feel). The index seeks to raise our collective awareness of the significant challenge of vision and mission alignment.
Developing strategy is half the battle. Aligning an entire organization to the strategy for effective execution can prove more difficult than developing the strategy itself.
Our mission at Gtmhub is to prevent organizational hypocrisy. Too many people are waning in environments where strategy and execution do not align. This leads to suboptimal outcomes, disengaged effort, and demoralized workforces.
We are not okay with this.
This is why we invested 6 months, thousands of hours, and a hefty financial contribution to deeply understand how well the employees of large, global brands are aligned with their company’s mission.
This formula for progress, based on the outdated Industrial Era approach, is ineffective at best and toxic at its worst. Communication tends to be unilateral, intentionally dismissing the intimacy necessary for success in the knowledge worker era. There is little room for purpose or engagement to desired outcomes in this output-based approach.
When employees are connected to the mission, they are one step closer to delivering real, valuable outcomes for their company and want to engage with and through their work. Employees that feel disconnected, either from their teams, a purpose, or the mission, cannot be aligned.
Desired business outcomes can only be achieved when employees feel a connection and find meaning in their work. Work cannot be purposeful, and thus in alignment, without a mission. When employees become aligned to the mission, through a system such as OKRs, they can find purpose and connection.
In a PwC survey, only 28% of respondents reported feeling fully connected to their company’s mission. For the other 72%, their time is spent pursuing uninspired, unclear, and unconnected outputs that lead to undesired business outcomes.
You don’t need an MBA to understand the ROI on this.
Outputs should no longer define success. Outcomes are the true measure of success and the only route for employees to feel engaged with their work.
Harvard Business Review has the data to back it up. “Purpose-driven organizations reap substantial benefits: More than 90% of them deliver growth and profits at or above the industry average, according to Strategy& research and analyses.”
Alignment to the mission brings:
- Clarity and a foundation for strategy
- At/above industry growth and profits
- Purpose for the organization and the employee
The MAI Methodology
The employee evaluations are responses to the level of clarity they have relative to the company’s corporate mission, its KPIs, and OKRs. These responses were collected using a variety of reputable data sources from confirmed employees on a self-reporting basis.
We draw key insights from the data, highlighting correlations between employee satisfaction and a company’s overall score.
Ok, I get it. Now what?
Gtmhub is here to help. Here are some suggested next steps:
How aligned is your organization to its mission?
Are you satisfied with your company’s performance? Yes or no, you can dive further into how to improve your company’s alignment to its mission. We have an in-depth benchmark assessment to compare your organization’s strategy execution to others — all for free.
Workshop: Exploring OKRs for Mission Alignment
Gartner research suggests that if a company has persistent problems with alignment or strategy responsiveness, other methodologies must be considered.
If you would like to explore how we may be able to help you — as we’ve helped 1000 other clients such as Adobe, CNN, and Societe Generale — inquire about a “Mission Alignment Workshop” session.
Request an Invite to the next OKR Champions Roundtable
In an invite-only, non-sales environment, learn the process of implementing OKR management methodology from enterprise clients who are doing it now. Topics include:
- Biggest OKR challenges
- Major obstacles overcome
- Best implementation practices
- Key insights and learnings from the experience
- Specialized advice from other OKR Champions
- Dedicated Q&A time